Instant Pot Boneless Short Ribs and Short Rib Vegetable Soup
Note: I believe wholeheartedly in the French cooking idea of “Mise en place,” which is to setup or put in place all of your ingredients ahead of time to make cooking a much faster and more pleasurable experience. It really helps. So pre-measure all of your ingredients and have everything chopped, diced, or minced, and ready to go before you start cooking.
Boneless Short Ribs Ingredients:
3 pounds of boneless short ribs
1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 lime, cut and juiced
1 tbsp of minced garlic from the jar or 8 cloves of fresh garlic minced
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup of low sodium vegetable broth
1 jalapeño, diced into small pieces
1 onion diced into small pieces
1 tablespoon of olive oil
Part One Directions:
- Turn the instant pot to sauté.
- Put oil into the pot, let it heat up for a few minutes. Add a few pieces of the short ribs at a time. Sear on each side for about a minute. You’ll want the four main sides of the meat to be browned, not all the way cooked, but browned enough to seal in the flavor. Once all four sides are done, remove them to a plate and repeat until all the ribs are seared like that.
- If you need more olive oil, add a little, then add onions and garlic.
- Stir on and off for about five minutes, until the onions start to become translucent.
- Press cancel on the instant pot to turn off sauté mode.
- Add all of the rest of the ingredients except the meat. Give it light mix to make sure everything has combined and scrape any crusty bits off the bottom of the instant pot with a wooden spatula or whatever you have to do that with.
- Put all of the ribs back in the instant pot. Close the lid and make sure it’s sealed and the vent is closed.
- Set to high pressure and let it cook for 40 minutes.
- When it’s done, let it naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick release the rest of the pressure.
- Take two forks, and being careful not to burn yourself, gently separate / shred all of the meat. It should fall apart easily as you pull it with the forks.
- Serve it hot in tacos or burritos with whatever toppings you want!
- Let it cool down for a bit and then transfer the remaining meat into a storage container or two. Put ONLY enough liquid in the storage container to keep the meat moist, you don’t need to completely submerge the meat.
You should have almost a quart of liquid base leftover. Set this aside and use it for the base of the short rib soup recipe on the next page!
Short Rib Vegetable Soup Ingredients:
The short rib base from part one of this recipe
1 tablespoon of butter
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves of minced garlic
3 stalks of celery, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 can of great northern or whatever beans you like, drained and rinsed
One yellow squash, sliced
Two small heads of broccoli, chopped and steamed
1 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp dried thyme
3 cups of low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
Your favorite pasta, cooked and set aside
- Cook your favorite pasta and set it aside. Rinse and refill the same pot and put the water on high heat in preparation to steam the broccoli.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine all of the spices and mix them together gently. Set aside.
- Put the butter and olive oil together in a pan, heat on medium until the butter is melted and move the pan around to make sure it’s evenly coated. Add the onions, garlic, celery, and carrots and sauté for approximately five to ten minutes until the onions are translucent, stirring often.
- While that’s cooking, steam the broccoli for about five minutes, remove from the steamer, and set aside.
- Add the spice mix to the onions and garlic, and sauté until combined.
- In a large soup pot, put all of the ingredients together. Everything. Mix it slowly until it’s all combined.
- Simmer for approximately fifteen minutes until carrots and celery are softened.
- Put some of your pasta into a bowl, ladle some soup on top, and enjoy! And if you have any boneless short rib left from part one, you can also add that on top of the soup!
- I also sprinkle a dash of parmesan cheese on top of the soup.